Brightcove set to become GCI's video pick
Gannettoid.com | firstname.lastname@example.org | Oct. 26, 2009 • Morning report
Below is a memo about Gannett using Brightcove as a video platform on its newspapers' Web sites.
Here is the memo:
Launch: Brightcove On-demand Video
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2009 9:30 AM
To: Publishers/Newspaper Operating Unit Heads (USCP Only); Broadcast General Managers; Broadcast General Sales Managers; Broadcast News Directors; Advertising Executives; GannettOnlineList; Editors of Gannett Daily Newspapers; Editors2 of Gannett Daily Newspapers; GCI-Market Development Directors
Cc: Gannett Digital - Corporate (ALL); Saridakis, Chris; Connell, Tara; Carroll, Jennifer; David Lenzen PLD; Fuschetti, Steve; Dickey, Robert; Dubow, Craig; Horning, Roxanne; Hunke, David; Lougee, Dave; Martore, Gracia; Mayman, Todd; Pence, Robin
While many of you are already familiar with the news of Gannett’s transition to the Brightcove platform for on-demand video, GannettDigital wanted to provide this update as many pilot markets are now live with the new solution.
We look forward to the platform’s full deployment and transition – targeted for completion by year’s end – as a critical piece in positioning Gannett to maximize growth in both revenue and audience. Advertising associated with on-demand video is expected to quadruple in the next four years, while user penetration is projected to reach the same level as search (85%) in that timeframe.
Look for a follow-up note next month about the 2010 GannettDigital video roadmap and strategy, including additional Brightcovefeature enhancements, Livestream opportunities, simplified expense tracking and additional monetization efforts. We’ll also continue to work closely with ContentOne on best practices for sharing strategies and content development.
Gannett evaluated several providers and selected Brightcove as the ideal solution for several reasons:
· Brightcove offers a premium user experience for front-end players, which should translate into greater stream volume.
· The company is experienced in managing large video networks and has a strong client list, including several newspaper groups. (Customers include New York Times, Dow Jones, Hearst Newspapers and Media News Group.)
· The transition improves monetization of video inventory through ad units that are more compelling to advertisers (mid-rolls, overlays, etc.)
· The new solution should lead to improved partner relations due to one company managing both the front-end and back-end. This includes faster turn-around on new projects and updates.
· Brightcove’s improved analytics and reporting will enable Gannett to track its video business better.
Where can I see it in action?
The following pilot sites have already deployed Brightcove:
Jeff Book will be following up with a deployment email in the coming days that will outline the deployment of this project for your local Information Centers and Digital technology staff. The local level of effort on this project will be high. Again, the Brightcove deployment is targeted to be complete by the end of this year.
Who can we contact with questions?
· Questions related to the rollout and specific features can be directed to May Fakhouri, (removed)@gannett.com, 703-(removed).
· For strategic questions, please contact me as the interim business owner at (removed)@gannett.com, 703-(removed).
· Note: GannettDigital is currently seeking and interviewing for a director of video.
About the author: Kevin Poortinga is the general manager of product development for GannettDigital Media Network.What I do: Product development has two primary functions: improving user experiences and growing the opportunities of Gannett’s site solution platforms (video, e-mail, SEO, site search, 1:1 marketing, social tools, etc.)Past work: Kevin has been with Gannett since 2000, with most of his time in Indianapolis, where he served in a variety of roles, from editorial creative direction to managing the development of new digital products, magazines and weeklies. Kevin moved to GannettDigital in July 2008 as the general manager of the product lab.