Ad Production Consolidation to RTC

GCI is consolidating operations to Des Moines, Indianapolis.

Ad Production Consolidation to RTC

Unread postby curious » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:54 am

Anybody know about the RTC absorbing all Ad Production?
curious

Re: Ad Production Consolidation to RTC

Unread postby Guest » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:33 pm

I heard it is going to be two separate places similar to the RTC. DPS Adtracker is rumored to be supplying the adtracking system. There are meetings in Des Moines next week.

Unread postby exgannettoid » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:12 am

As a former Gannett employee (and senior manager) cut in the July 9 bloodbath, I can confirm that this is the official plan.

The meetings are being held next week in Des Moines with various members of RTC-esque management, 8-12 field employees; at least one senior-level Corporate IT staffer and various vendors.

The plan is to have some papers converted to the Consolidated Production Center late this year, perhaps, but the bulk of the shift to occur in 2010. The implementation plan has been re-written at least three times, and the current version is not being circulated.
Publishers, Group Directors and Ad Executives have been informed of this plan in superficial terms (Publishers probably know more than they're telling their direct reports).

Stay tuned. More "right sizing" to occur as the currently-employed ad designers / ad builders are going to find that there will be few opportunities for them in the Gannett of 2010.
exgannettoid

Unread postby FRMRGnttr » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:37 am

Has the contract with 2adPro expired? Or is this consolidation just a means to cover up the department that sends all the ads overseas?

I can't wait to hear how this works (or doesn't work, as the case may very well be).

What a fiasco this will turn out to be.
FRMRGnttr

Unread postby EX-GANNETT » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:57 am

When has anything Gannett done worked like it was supposed to? I heard that all the web ads will be outsourced to 2AdPro. Not sure about print ads.

I can't wait until they outsource news to the average joe on the street. At least at my former newspaper, the general public knew more about what was happening in the community. The executive editor is more interested in chasing ambulances than covering actual news that some people might find useful or purposeful.
EX-GANNETT

Unread postby Gannettoid » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:42 pm

Thanks for the information provided so far.

For more on this, read: http://www.gannettoid.com/0803.html

If anyone who has posted here has more information, or would like to prove your information is accurate, please contact me at news@gannettoid.com.

Thanks
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby exgannettoid » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:10 pm

The 2AdPro contract is "officially" not yet expired, but will be soon. GCI is actively looking at two American-based companies for outsourcing ads to, primarily web ads, but some print as well.

The two companies have not been widely talked about, but are probably American Outsources and a division of Affinity Express. No one will openly say 2AdPro was a disaster, but all you have to do is read between the lines at what Indy's Bolger says or the lack of pressure on the sites by the Publisher's to use the service. The only problem is that many sites already cut staff way back to achieve the payroll savings anticipated by 2AdPro; and the non payroll expense has risen as 2AdPro realized it was losing money. It was a not a well-thought out project long-term.

And, sadly, no -- the consolidation project will not merely coverup or replace outsourcing. It is an entirely new model that is untried within Gannett. But, remember, GCI learned a lot with the RTC and COE projects. One can argue that this time, the implementation will be better.

Bottom line, ad builders, change is coming.
exgannettoid

Unread postby Guest » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:40 am

All of the ad building in Wisconsin is done in Green Bay, and that's working so well (not) why not try it elsewhere.

Be very scared.

Unread postby a-nony-mouse » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:26 am

When did they shut down the Ad Services Dept in Wausau and send it all to Green Bay?
a-nony-mouse

Unread postby curious » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:29 am

Gannett continues to find ways to cut costs NOT generate efficiencies. The COE turned out to be mediocre. RTC is a different story. Take a look at any Gannett printed newspaper and you will see color quality is down. Some sites bypass RTC all together.

If Gannett were serious about cutting costs and maximizing efficiency, it would have used the RTC as an experiment. Once it proved it could regionalize/centralize these operations, it should take it to the next step -- outsourcing. The RTC still employs high-paid manager/directors, etc. and pays the toners American wages and American benefits. True cost savings would come from moving that operation out of the country and realize the savings in wages and benefits.
curious

Unread postby Guest » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:18 pm

Yes, anybody with eyes should be able to tone a photo. Outsourcing that to India would have made more sense than ad production. 2AdPro employees often don't know English, causing for some interesting ads to come back. They should have been reversed, with ad production done in the states and toning done outside.

Unread postby 1Leegrad » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:05 pm

Will all Gannett papers have to use this source or will some be able to maintain their own ad production?
1Leegrad

Unread postby perplexed » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:04 pm

How many sites are "allowed" to tone their own photos.

How many sites still have an AS/400?

How many sites still have an Exchange server

I could go on.
perplexed

Unread postby Mr.T » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:34 pm

So lets see if I have this correct. Ad production will be consolidated – all sites, I am assuming. Will this involve ad builders just in advertising or will it also include designers in Marketing? What I get out of Mike Kane's letter is that if revenue is not met more people will go. It's ashame, Mike Kane was a great guy back in the day. Only got to meet him for an interview, for which he hired me then left for another paper.

What does everyone make of this new plan? More jobs lost and more digital? No wonder they are pushing Flash training. I guess if you can't learn it, then you are history. Just when we thought we could relax for a few weeks they are ready to eliminate more of us. When will it end?
Mr.T

Unread postby exgannettoid » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:31 pm

Actually, at the RTC, most all black and white photos are processed through Intellitune, with no humans touching them. RTC management stresses, to the Publishers, the need to use the RTC's services. Now, for Editorial, it's a fairly simple process. For Advertising, not so much. Not that it's impossible, just that there are other factors that must be addressed. I know RTC management, and they are doing the best possible job they can.

Now, as for Ad Consolidation -- it's coming and will likely encompass both Advertising/Production/Marketing ad designers (depending upon where this reports to). It's not going to be optional. When the process is in place, the staff WILL be eliminated. It's not going to be like 2AdPro where some staff reductions happened and others picked up the work. This will be like the RTC conversion where the entire staff is reduced and the work transferred immediately. It won't be pretty, but probably won't hit in its totality until mid 2010.
exgannettoid

Unread postby Guest » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:25 am

It's over. I predict a mass exodus soon. To my fellow Ganetteers, don't stick around to help the company build the cross that they'll be crucifying you with - let us rats leave the ship before it sinks.

Unread postby exgannettoid » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:55 am

The mass exodus will be in bits and pieces. No wide spread "today's the day," but rather like the RTC conversion, each paper will have a go-live date. On this date, the local design staff will be, for the most part, eliminated.
Trafficking the material is the tough nut to crack. That's still being worked out.

As for consolidation, some of it really makes sense.

Look at the AS/400 operations. Why would each paper have a 400?? Locating a massive box in the MOC makes a lot more sense.

Same with Exchange servers. Virtualizing them at the MOC and replicating to the POC (and vice versa) makes a great deal of sense.

As does the RTC. Toning of photos should be centralized. It was a good idea.

Just wait to you see what's in store for Circ and centralization ....
Last edited by exgannettoid on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
exgannettoid

Unread postby Gannettoid » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:00 am

News provided by "exgannettoid" is not speculation. I have checked with this person and know who it is.

Their information is solid and can be trusted.
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby Just great » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:34 pm

That's just great. Thought maybe we had a few weeks to finally relax and do our jobs! Thanks once again Gannett for your behind the scenes BS. So maybe those last sick days are looking much more inviting than usual. Believe you me – they will be used to the full max this year. What a bunch of BS. We are supposed to work our asses off with half the staff, remain positive and just wait like sheep to be lead to our destiny! NOT! Screw you Gannett! I'm taking my sick time and I'm not happy to have a job with a bunch of hacks and losers like this company has become. Do not expect any loyalty from any of us. You have set your ship to sail on this one.
Just great

Unread postby stargazer » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:07 am

OK, so toning and ad building are being consolidated. How bout pagination? There is more to production than simply building ads. We have a whole team that does straight pickups, handles emails with camera-ready ads, lays out the paper, and of course, everybodies favorite: the Harris Team. Will the new RTC be able able to place approved ads on the pages?
stargazer

Next

Return to GANNETT PRODUCTION CENTERS