Louisiana papers consolidating printing

Discuss anything related to news from or about Gannett.

Louisiana papers consolidating printing

Unread postby Gannettoid » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:27 am

Gannett's The Town Talk in Alexandria, La., will lay off about 40 employees when it shifts its printing next month to Lafayette, La., according to a Wednesday memo.

Leslie Hurst, Gannett's vice president of the South group and publisher of The Daily Advertiser in Lafayette announced the move in a memo obtained by Gannettoid.com. In the memo, Hurst said, "this decision was not made lightly, but is the result of a great deal of thought and research to ensure that we are making the best decision for both operations."

READ MORE ABOUT THIS AND THE MEMO AT www.Gannettoid.com/louisianaprinting.html
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Re: Louisiana papers consolidating printing

Unread postby anony=mouse » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:50 am

Of course, you CANNOT maintain the level of quality product and service when you are forced to move up your print time significantly.

It is THAT simple.

Of course, no one will admit that, but everyone knows it is true.

40 more gone.

So sad. So very pathetic.
anony=mouse

Unread postby exgannetter » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:17 am

How sad for these people - all in the name of what? Saving money? Being more profitable?
Anyone that's invested in newspapers now has got to realize that the returns are marginal and yet the product is still way overvalued. With that being said, Gannett should look at trimming the fat from the TOP of the food chain and letting everything shake out to turn profits at lower levels.

Newspapers are still profitable, but not when the fat cats want 1.50 return on every .50 they spend. Find loopholes that'll get them fired for non-performance and save your jobs!
exgannetter

Unread postby Guest » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:40 pm

I will admit it. They took our press, they took the heart and soul of the paper. Yes, the times has affected everything, but THEY do not care. Bottom line is profits for the Borg. Yep, that's right. It's like working in the dead zone. The people in Louisiana have my deepest sympathy and empathy. I feel your pain. :roll:

Unread postby Long Overdue!! » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:22 pm

The Town Talk being printed in Lafayette is no surprise. The quality of the paper is horrible and has been for a long time. The insert situation is a disaster. As a carrier you never know if your papers are going to have inserts much less the ones they should have. Some bundles are just inserts with no papers. It's a joke! I'm surprised companies still advertise with The Town Talk. If they only knew!!! All of the carriers are sick of the lack of concern on the part of management for all the problems this has caused them. Carriers take alot of heat for the problems with the paper for which they have no control. The move to Lafayette will be an improvement!!! Thank God someone finally did something right.
Long Overdue!!

Unread postby lovejones » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:14 pm

the town talk will not exist for long & most of the jobs were not part time i know because i am one of them at least 25 were fulltime. The publisher who sucks is partly to blame he has his 25year college dropout son as the circulation director who makes 23$an hour and is never at work and his job was not let go.
lovejones

Unread postby Gannettoid » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:52 pm

lovejones wrote:the town talk will not exist for long & most of the jobs were not part time i know because i am one of them at least 25 were fulltime. The publisher who sucks is partly to blame he has his 25year college dropout son as the circulation director who makes 23$an hour and is never at work and his job was not let go.

Do you know an exact count of layoffs? Also, were you told if these cuts are part of the current round or are separate?
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby Wow » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:28 pm

lovejones wrote:the town talk will not exist for long & most of the jobs were not part time i know because i am one of them at least 25 were fulltime. The publisher who sucks is partly to blame he has his 25year college dropout son as the circulation director who makes 23$an hour and is never at work and his job was not let go.

Wow!!! It's about time someone said it!! There were some hard working people in the press room and all full time and a few full time in the mail room. I feel sorry for most of those being laid off but there is one 6 figure person (according to her "favorites") who has run every dept. she's managed into the dirt and I heard she is losing her job and it's about time!!! A week before the July layoff's some of her "favorites" knew three production guys were being laid off because they told me. It's terrible how a "Director" can get away with things like that.
I do have to set the record straight on one thing though, the publisher's son was not making $23 an hour working in circulation. I know because he worked for me. Working as a district manager they were making far less than that. Now things may have changed since I got laid off, I don't know.
To answer Gannettoid's question below these aren't part of the current round of layoffs, I don't think. This writer "lovejones" is correct when he says alot of the positions were full time. There were several part time mail room workers when I left in July who will lose their jobs on Oct 27th. But............there were so many production problems that the Director could not get under control and our customer service was so bad it was bound to happen that the printing move to Lafayette.
Wow

Return to GANNETT NEWS