Dickey confirms first-quarter furloughs

Discuss anything related to news from or about Gannett.

Unread postby Gannettoid » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:40 pm

Gannett will institute another round of one-week furloughs in the first quarter of 2010, according to a memo sent Tuesday by Bob Dickey, president of the company's newspaper division.

MEMO:
www.Gannettoid.com/furloughs1201.html

FAQ:
www.Gannettoid.com/dickey1201.html
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Re: Dickey confirms first-quarter furloughs

Unread postby tcdude » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:56 pm

Pointing at "lightness" of business in 1Q is probably the real driver here. They see an opportunity to save the expense on a seasonally down revenue quarter.
tcdude

Unread postby Ok...... » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:56 pm

Does anyone know if this includes USA Today? We didn't receive an advance memo. I wonder if Hunke will send out an email confirming that we were a part of it like Moon did last year.....then again, if its just USCP?
Ok......

Unread postby tcdude » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:00 pm

Lougee of Broadcasting sent out a memo today (I talked about it in the layoffs forum, when I should have put it here) telling them they would not be affected. Almost certainly to nip in the bud the "us too?" speculation. So that would suggest if you didn't get such a memo from your head to calm you down, I'd be leaning towards you'll be impacted. I would think they would have made arrangements as a senior management team how to address it, rather than just doing their own things individually. At least that would make sense --so perhaps it is suspicious on that score. :)
tcdude

Unread postby Gannettoid » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:09 pm

I believe USA Today will not have furloughs, but is laying off 26.

Romenesko points to Politico:
http://www.politico.com/blogs/michaelca ... _jobs.html
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby Gannettoid » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:15 pm

Please post any e-mails/memos that were sent with Dickey's attachments. Please include to/from and date information.
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby bull » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:32 pm

Does this mean the company is in trouble?
A. No. Gannett is in an even stronger position than a year ago and because of everyone’s hard work, we have done a very good job reducing our debt and managing expenses. These efforts have helped us maintain the strength of our company during extraordinarily difficult times. Given the uncertainty of the economy and its continued weak state, we think this is the prudent course to take at this time.

GCI SUGAR COATS THIS KIND OF NEWS ALL THE TIME, WHEN THEY DO TALK TO THEIR EMPLOYEES THE FEED THEM A BUNCH OF BULL. MY FAVORITE LINE IS "Gannett is in an even stronger position than a year ago and because of everyone’s hard work"
The only thing that makes the company in better position is that there is less employees, with that comes less news, less paid circulation, less page views, less advertising, less content, less pages, less quality etc. How does that make GCI stronger?
bull

Unread postby onlooker » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:38 pm

My favorite line is at the top:

CONFIDENTIAL

CONTAINS PROPRIETARY BUSINESS INFORMATION - NOT FOR PUBLIC DISSEMINATION

Aw, c'mon Bobby. Don't you think these good people are tired of being told what to do?
onlooker

Unread postby Guest » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:46 pm

It's like Furlough Mad Libs. At least Dickey knows how to do one thing right - write form letters.

Blah blah blah, something positive
Blah blah blah, your hard work is great
Blah blah blah, BUT some stuff is still bad
Blah blah blah, but buck up because your hard work will make it all better

That FAQ is almost exactly the same one they sent out earlier in the year, just a quick highlight and change of a couple date-sensitive items.

"Does this mean the company is doing bad?"
Unequivocally, YES!

Unread postby slim » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:02 pm

Never seen a company that hates employees. As in, hates having to employ anyone.
slim

Unread postby Guest » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:49 pm

From what I understand the properties not getting furloughs may/will be facing layoffs. Anyone heard about Ft Meyers?

Unread postby doubletruck » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:05 pm

The east coast papers are quite vulnerable to layoffs right now.
doubletruck

Unread postby Guest » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:12 am

Not sure what is fact or fiction but as an East Coast paper we received our furlough
notice today. Adds up to about a 6-7% paycut including last year's furloughs. Not really sure with the small staff we have how we are supposed to take furloughs, not incur overtime and still get all the work done. Should be quite interesting to the least!

Unread postby Guest » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:35 am

Internal Story for Intranet
November 24, 2009

Headline: Some Gannett Units to Furlough First Quarter 2010

Today, Corporate and some of our operations announced plans for a furlough in the first quarter of 2010. Our company is stronger than it was this time last year so, unlike the furloughs we had earlier this year, this program will not be a companywide initiative. In letters to employees in those groups taking furloughs, it was noted that we are continuing to see some encouraging trends within various parts of Gannett’s businesses, advertising in particular where we have seen ad declines continuing to slow more each quarter. The key driver noted for the furloughs is to maintain our momentum going into the new year in the face of ongoing weakness in the overall economy and an uncertain business climate.

“Gannett has always looked ahead and planned for both the good and tough times. The furlough is a prudent measure to help us steer out of the lingering effects of the recession and is consistent with our business approach to be proactive in uncertain times,” said Gracia Martore, Gannett’s Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, in a note to Corporate staff today. The furloughs will take place during the first quarter of 2010 because it is traditionally the lightest time of the year for our business. The furloughs must be completed by Sunday, March 28.

“Thanks to all of our employees’ efforts, we have seen some marked improvements to our business. I appreciate and sincerely thank you for all that you have done to keep us competitive and well positioned to move ahead as the economy improves,” Martore said.

This is the letter we got yesterday.
It looks like not every property will be doing this in the 1st quarter, and it's not clear what's supposed to happen with employees already scheduled for layoff in the 1st quarter. When I asked the question, it's as if no one had even considered those situations, so I can't tell the employees definitively whether or not they have to take a furlough week. I certainly hope they won't, but no one here apparently has the authority to give me an answer.
I am also concerned about back up coverage, particularly with employees able to use up 2009 vacation time in Q1 2010 also. We're running very lean in Finance here, and there isn't a whole lot of overlap anymore. We have already been seeing the impact of the 2009 furloughs; over Thanksgiving, it was almost impossible to get anything done because so many managers were taking vacation time that they didn't have to use earlier in the year.

Unread postby Gannettoid » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:29 am

From www.desmoinesregister.com:
Laura Hollingsworth, president and publisher of the Register, said November will be the paper's best month as local advertisers express more optimism.

"Still, the business climate remains highly uncertain - for us here in Iowa, and across the country," Hollingsworth said.

Does anyone know if Hollingsworth was in Iowa during this? Or was she at The Baxter Bulletin?
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby guest5 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:38 pm

Hollingsworth is at The Springfield NewsLeader Dec. 1-3, not at the Baxter Bulletin, General Manager and Advertising Director are up there meeting with her.
guest5

Unread postby another company victim » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:11 pm

Damn! This means that there will be layoffs at MY newspaper company!

Every time Gannett announces furloughs, layoffs, whatever - MY newspaper company announces the exact same thing about two weeks later!!

Damn!
another company victim

Unread postby me » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:32 pm

Ft Myers got the same memo that everyone else got. What the hell, I'll take the OT. The work has to be done, especially during the height of the season here. Despite 2 weeks furlough in '09, and a wage freeze, I'll end up making 7 or 8% more than in '08 because of the increased hours covering for other's furloughs. Now, we each have a weeks vacation carried over from '09 because there was no time to take it.
me

Unread postby observer » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:08 pm

Vacation weeks carry over to the next year?

My, my, you Gannett people are so spoiled! If we in our newspaper company don't take the vacation (or even sick days) days during the calendar year - we lose it. Doesn't matter why.

Nothing carries over to the next next year. Never has.
observer

Unread postby Guest » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:47 pm

observer wrote:Vacation weeks carry over to the next year?

My, my, you Gannett people are so spoiled! If we in our newspaper company don't take the vacation (or even sick days) days during the calendar year - we lose it. Doesn't matter why.

Nothing carries over to the next next year. Never has.

they are let people carry over 1-2 vaca days because of all the furloughs last year that's the only reason why.

Next

Return to GANNETT NEWS