Gannett consolidating ad production services

GCI is consolidating operations to Des Moines, Indianapolis.

Gannett consolidating ad production services

Unread postby Gannettoid » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:25 am

When Gannett launches its regional ad building centers in Des Moines and Indianapolis early in 2010, it will come after at least three years of planning for the costs-savings move.

According to internal documents obtained by Gannettoid.com, Gannett saw the consolidation as a way to benefit from "substantial labor savings" and "capitalize on current outsourcing efforts, increase outsourcing efforts and gain additional efficiencies."

READ OUR COMPLETE REPORT AT http://www.Gannettoid.com/consolidation.html
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Re: Documents from 2008 detail ad centers

Unread postby SteppingStone » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:07 am

I wonder if there are any plans to offer jobs at the new hubs to ad composers at the papers losing their production departments? Certainly the hubs will have to staff up to handle such a volume of work. I hope they are not simply expecting the current production staff at Des Moines and Indy to handle all ad production for the whole region. (Though I wouldn't put it past the upper management to think that would work.)

I also hope when they do this they think through all the details. One, but certainly not the biggest, problem would be developing a common font load for the hub that would also have to be implemented at all the sites since "last minute changes" will be made by 2 or 3 unfortunate souls left at each site. This will be a huge project. Since all sites currently have their own font loads, all legacy files sent to the hub will have to rebuilt to a certain extent to change fonts. I am glad I left Gannett earlier this year!
SteppingStone

Unread postby Gannettoid » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:11 am

The business plan did address font issues so that is on their radar.
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby formeremployee » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:36 pm

After reading that article I'm left with a vision of a sweatshop-like atmosphere with dozens of tired, underpaid workers slaving over their computers while bosses walk up and down the rows with whips.

The people I feel the worst for are the ones who've been at newspapers their whole careers and have real pride and loyalty to the business. To witness this degradation to employees and the decay of the industry has got to be soul crushing.

In some ways I understand how this plan makes sense for the business as far as saving money on clip art subscriptions and program licensing, but to me it just feels like a ruthless mass slaughter. Slay more peasants so the king's children have an abundance.

I can't imagine how it feels to be a graphic designer right now, with this knowledge, and go into work for the next few months. You can't quit or you'll lose your unemployment, and in some areas of the country, finding another job - especially one with benefits - is almost impossible. I know if I were still there, I'd be doing only the absolute minimum amount of work possible to not get fired. Why do any more? I'm sure they'll come up with some kind of lie to raise people's hopes that if they just work harder than the next person there will be a job for them.

My thoughts are with everyone who is being affected (or impacted as they'll call it) by this decision. I hope you find light at the end of the tunnel soon.
formeremployee

Unread postby meow » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:43 pm

"Do to budget cuts, the light at the end if the tunnel has been turned off."
meow

Unread postby keypadder » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:49 pm

meow wrote:"Do to budget cuts, the light at the end if the tunnel has been turned off."

This is a great line!!!
keypadder

Unread postby Guest » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:51 pm

keypadder wrote:
meow wrote:"Do to budget cuts, the light at the end if the tunnel has been turned off."

This is a great line!!!

Apparently it was the copy editing cut first do to these cuts.

Unread postby formeremployee » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:09 pm

Guest wrote:
keypadder wrote:

This is a great line!!!

Apparently it was the copy editing cut first do to these cuts.

It's probably been outsourced to India.
formeremployee

Re: Consolidation to AD CENTERS

Unread postby presentminded » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:37 am

I don't know why anyone is surprised at the consolidation news, it's no surprise that our newspaper is on the decline and Gannett is trying to do what it can to save itself while still pleasing the stockholders. I don;t know about you but the writing is not only on the wall it's etched in the stone, better start getting your portfolio ready and preparing an exit strategy. All this does is give us a timeline for the next round of layoffs prior to consolidation. The wheels are in motion.
presentminded

Unread postby Guest » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:41 am

Does anyone know which papers will get hit first?

Unread postby Guest » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:05 am

I am interesting in knowing that too. Are they going to start it in phases? Will it be smaller papers first? Anyone have any insight?

Unread postby Gannettoid » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:21 pm

Definitely expected to be done in phases, similar to RTC. I think we've heard larger sites first.
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby Guest » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:23 pm

Any more specifics on which sites?

Unread postby KrayolaKat » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:47 pm

Probably the sites that still have intact art departments. Every paper in NJ has been cut to the bare bone and there are still papers in other parts of the country that have not been touched. You're next! :( I hope they have prepared themselves over the past year... and are not in denial like I was! :roll:
KrayolaKat

Unread postby Guest » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:57 pm

This report was brought to the attention of our managers today. They ended up calling a meeting for all the designers. None of our managers knew anything about it, which isn't surprising. They pretty much have no idea what is gonna happen or what they are going to do about it.
Should be interesting to see what happens when this is officially announced.

Unread postby formeremployee » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:07 pm

Guest wrote:This report was brought to the attention of our managers today. They ended up calling a meeting for all the designers. None of our managers knew anything about it, which isn't surprising. They pretty much have no idea what is gonna happen or what they are going to do about it.
Should be interesting to see what happens when this is officially announced.

Would you mind posting your location? If there is a reason why you didn't or don't want to, I understand.
formeremployee

Unread postby Gannettoid » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:04 am

It'd be great if you could post this information, but if you choose not to, please e-mail me at news@gannettoid.com. I would not post anything you don't want me to, but I'd like to ask about this.

Thanks
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby guest » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:29 am

our manager called a meeting of all the designers, etc. on friday to squash these rumors because artists were forwarding the gannettoid email around and getting upset. we were told that there is no "plan" that they knew of. that not all of the papers are on the same systems, that it is an idea being tossed around by gannett but no actual plan to make it happen

Unread postby Gannettoid » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:40 am

guest wrote:our manager called a meeting of all the designers, etc. on friday to squash these rumors because artists were forwarding the gannettoid email around and getting upset. we were told that there is no "plan" that they knew of. that not all of the papers are on the same systems, that it is an idea being tossed around by gannett but no actual plan to make it happen

Unfortunately, this is really happening. Hopefully employees can be prepared for this. The process will be gradual, with larger sites transitioning first, and maybe two sites a month converting to start.

The model will be similar to when the company transitioned to RTC. Most sites were aware of what was happening at least four-to-six weeks ahead of time. Some gave affected employees more notice, some waited until the last moment they could.

The memos detailed from late 2008 only show a glimpse into the planning process. The company has certainly changed some things and figured out new ways to do things, but change is coming to the ad building with RABCs in Des Moines and Indy.

We continue to check with sources on this and hope to have more information soon, but if a manager is denying the company is going in this direction, they either do not know or are misleading.
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby Guest » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:35 pm

Gannettoid wrote:It'd be great if you could post this information, but if you choose not to, please e-mail me at news@gannettoid.com. I would not post anything you don't want me to, but I'd like to ask about this.

Thanks

the meeting was at the newspress in fort myers florida.
the managers neither confirmed or denied the report because they flat out didn't know. they originally claimed that our publisher wasn't aware of this report either but saying as she has posted on this site before I find that hard to believe.
the main point they tried to get across was that nothing has officially been announced and they didn't see how it could even work for our paper, so we should just ignore the "rumours" and continue working our best.
I don't doubt they are going to continue to sweep this under the rug and a know a few oblivious others will pretend like nothing is happening and believe every word they are told. however I will be getting my resume together and looking for a new job. the simple fact is we are all going to get laid off within the next year and I for one want to be prepared for that.

Next

Return to GANNETT PRODUCTION CENTERS