Gannett consolidating ad production services

GCI is consolidating operations to Des Moines, Indianapolis.

Re: Gannett consolidating ad production services

Unread postby Guest » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:40 pm

There is some serious denial going on at my paper. People are either saying it's not going to happen at all, or it's so many years away so why worry about it? And the people saying this are higher-ups! I can't say I completely believe them, but there's been no formal discussion about what's going on. It's all been talked about in a "water cooler chat" kind of way.

If this production center backfires in a big way, what are the chances of Gannett scrapping the idea completely, or at least majorly tweaking the plan so that the majority of artists still get to keep their jobs?

Unread postby Gannettoid » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:10 pm

This is definitely happening. The planning is far past the point of no return. I'm still trying to find more information about the rollout schedule (news@gannettoid.com), but that will obviously clear up when changes are happening paper-by-paper.
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby Guest » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:02 pm

it is happening no going back... they told our paper a few weeks ago. But they haven't given us much info they just keep saying they don't know much yet. My thought is they are scared we will all leave if they give us more info. When asking the HR department if we will have a stay on bonus their response was "absolutely not"

Unread postby Gannettoid » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:04 pm

Can you share your paper, Guest?
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby Guest » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:27 pm

Our paper to was told no stay on bonus, and all we would get is the tpp no severance. If this wasn't such a bad job market right now this would be easier on all designers.

Unread postby SOSAD » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:39 pm

It will be in the Spring of next year!
SOSAD

Unread postby Guest » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:55 am

Guest wrote:Our paper to was told no stay on bonus, and all we would get is the tpp no severance. If this wasn't such a bad job market right now this would be easier on all designers.

Unsurprisingly, that sounds like the opposite of what Austin Ryan said:
http://www.gannettoid.com/rabc0902ryan.html
We are also working with HR and others here at corporate on retention plans for staff as this project will take numerous months to roll out and it will be important to retain staff during this time and reward them for their efforts.

Not that I ever believed it. With no more severance or any bonus/perks, what exactly is the incentive to stay? I've put off looking for another job because we were told that this was a temporary rough patch, just hold on a little longer! Now we learn that Gannett's future no longer includes artists. Well, my future no longer includes Gannett.

Unread postby Guest 5 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:39 pm

As a former Gannett employee, trust me when I tell you that the higher up's will promise you anything they have to to use you until it's time to make the changes at your paper. They have to continue to bring in the ad revenue to survive and they'll tell you anything to get you to continue helping them until they screw you over.
If you can find employment elsewhere you would be wise to take it. Don't trust anything they say.
Guest 5

Unread postby empathetic former employee » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:10 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:Our paper to was told no stay on bonus, and all we would get is the tpp no severance. If this wasn't such a bad job market right now this would be easier on all designers.

Unsurprisingly, that sounds like the opposite of what Austin Ryan said:
http://www.gannettoid.com/rabc0902ryan.html
We are also working with HR and others here at corporate on retention plans for staff as this project will take numerous months to roll out and it will be important to retain staff during this time and reward them for their efforts.

Not that I ever believed it. With no more severance or any bonus/perks, what exactly is the incentive to stay? I've put off looking for another job because we were told that this was a temporary rough patch, just hold on a little longer! Now we learn that Gannett's future no longer includes artists. Well, my future no longer includes Gannett.

This from E&P last month:

http://topics.npr.org/quote/066Xboi0NI9p2

full story is here:

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp ... 1004009025
empathetic former employee

Unread postby Guest » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:18 pm

I am not by any means casting aspersions on Gannettoid; I think you're doing a great job! But what happened to all the people who used to tip Jim Hopkins off on stuff like this rollout plan? Why aren't they telling us what they know?

Unread postby curious, too » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:05 pm

Guest wrote:I am not by any means casting aspersions on Gannettoid; I think you're doing a great job! But what happened to all the people who used to tip Jim Hopkins off on stuff like this rollout plan? Why aren't they telling us what they know?

Maybe they no longer do that because they're no longer at their respective papers and have no insider information. Or maybe those who do know just don't want to tell.
curious, too

Unread postby Guest » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:53 pm

Maybe they were just friends of Jims. I've never seen “My Boss Said” post anything on this site.

I like this site much better. No drama. Just accurate information that keeps us informed without all the lies, drama and nonsense.

Unread postby newsie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:11 pm

Guest wrote:Maybe they were just friends of Jims. I've never seen “My Boss Said” post anything on this site.

I like this site much better. No drama. Just accurate information that keeps us informed without all the lies, drama and nonsense.

Exactly!
newsie

Unread postby Gannettoid » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:58 pm

Guest wrote:I am not by any means casting aspersions on Gannettoid; I think you're doing a great job! But what happened to all the people who used to tip Jim Hopkins off on stuff like this rollout plan? Why aren't they telling us what they know?

They haven't shared the rollout schedule with many people. It has to be shared with someone who believes the info should be out. From reading memos meant only for publishers, that should tell you people with access to that have shared info, so maybe the rollout schedule has not been shared with that level.

I will continue digging and hope everyone else does, too. This is obviously important information.
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby Gannettoid » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:16 pm

Turns out, it wasn't only being kept close, they did not have the rollout schedule ready when originally planned. Even now, they are still working on it, but do have a tentative schedule.

Look for this information tonight, but for now, the first two will be Des Moines and Iowa City on Nov. 2. Indianapolis is scheduled for Jan. 18. Lafayette, Ind., Muncie and Richmond are all set for Jan. 25.

Last on the list is St. George, which is set for Oct. 11, 2010.
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby Guest » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:20 pm

Wow! Oct 2010! That's a long way off. I wonder if the other sites will be
that far in the future. There is the possibility Gannett could change their minds
at that point if the economy turns around. At least the artists at that site
will have a full year to get their resumes out there and look for another job.

Wonder why they told employess so soon? Seems it would hurt the organization
rather than help it. All the employees could be gone before the actual rollout
happens. Then who will design the ads? AdPro2?

Unread postby Guest » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:06 pm

Gannettoid, I LOVE you. Any word on any other sites, or are these the only ones they've decided on?

Unread postby Guest » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:24 pm

Guest wrote:it is happening no going back... they told our paper a few weeks ago. But they haven't given us much info they just keep saying they don't know much yet. My thought is they are scared we will all leave if they give us more info. When asking the HR department if we will have a stay on bonus their response was "absolutely not"

Gannettoid wrote:Can you share your paper, Guest?

NNCO

Tentative rollout schedule set for production centers

Unread postby Gannettoid » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:14 am

A NOTE FROM AUSTIN RYAN THAT INCLUDES A TENTATIVE ROLLOUT SCHEDULE IS AVAILABLE AT www.Gannettoid.com/rabc1008.html
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby Guest » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:23 am

Gannettoid wrote:Turns out, it wasn't only being kept close, they did not have the rollout schedule ready when originally planned. Even now, they are still working on it, but do have a tentative schedule.

Look for this information tonight, but for now, the first two will be Des Moines and Iowa City on Nov. 2. Indianapolis is scheduled for Jan. 18. Lafayette, Ind., Muncie and Richmond are all set for Jan. 25.

Last on the list is St. George, which is set for Oct. 11, 2010.

The Lafayette, Muncie and Richmond papers should be a pretty easy transition. The databases are being hosted at Indy as well as Adtracker Online. The only thing the local sites have are the file servers for the art and ad elements.

PreviousNext

Return to GANNETT PRODUCTION CENTERS