Anything from Lansing?

Know any news about this round of layoffs? Discuss it here.

Re: Anything from Lansing?

Unread postby Guest » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:44 pm

Guest wrote:Pub sent an email after hours that said total will be 28, and notifications are not finished but "everyone who was scheduled to work today" who was on the lay off list was notified. I'm home now and don't have the email. Someone will post it, I'm sure.
Here it is:
Thursday, July 9

To All Employees:

We have been through two very difficult days. As you know, we have implemented most of the layoffs I announced last week. A total of 28 employees are impacted by these layoffs. It has been a very emotional couple of days for all of us. Those who are leaving served the Lansing State Journal well and will be missed. I want to stress that the reductions in no way reflect the quality of these individuals’ work. I know you join me in wishing them both professional success and personal happiness.

To ease any additional anxiety I asked each department head to meet with their staff when they were finished meeting with all individuals impacted by these layoffs. Because we operate 24-hours a day, 7 days a week, all of the required layoffs could not be completed today. But layoff notification has been given to all affected employees scheduled to work today.

The current recession is hurting many businesses and we are no exception. But as I said last week in my weekly news summary, I am confident that we are positioning ourselves for growth when the economy rebounds. I truly appreciate each of you and what you contribute to LSJ Media. We will get through these difficult economic times and come out stronger.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Brian Priester
President and Publisher

Unread postby Gannettoid » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:06 pm

From an anonymous tipster:
A copy editor/reporter was also laid off. 10 total so far. Publisher's letter says 28, article says 26. The difference is likely two regional employees located at Lansing.
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby Guest » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:23 pm

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20090709/NEWS03/307090008

Does anyone know what management/corporate did to break up the union about 10-15 years ago? I've been curious as to the history with that.

Unread postby Guest » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:24 pm

From the numbers I've seen posted, it looks like only about half the 28 or so employees have been accounted for. Anyone got any idea where the other half are coming from?

Unread postby Guest » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:48 pm

Union members voted to disband it because GCI withheld the 401K as a benefit.

Unread postby The Power of Knowing » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:08 am

It looks like three newsroom positions were eliminated in Lansing. Can anyone verify this?
The Power of Knowing

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:41 am

Who is the third from the LSJ newsroom?

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:51 am

Someone needs to figure out where the other HALF of the layoffs are coming from. Something smells funny.

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:00 pm

They might be laying off a bunch of press operators to handle a move to Detroit.

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:26 pm

But if they are moving print to Detroit - ops and layout would go too, wouldn't they? Well, eventually I suppose. Why virtually upload ad stuff to Delta just to upload the same stuff to Detroit? Its not like we can talk to a designer anymore anyway. Then factor in that India place. Ouch. It isn't over, is it?

Unread postby guest » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:56 pm

The three newsroom spots were a copy editor, a librarian and a sports copy editor.

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:29 pm

Please come up with additional names and positions that were axed.

What I know so far.

Advertising

Pam C.,Rachelle F.,Michele D., Rick J., Susan B.

News
Pam G., Ellen W.

Circ
Diana K. Director, plus 2 others

Finance
Mike W. Controller, Shelly A.
Last edited by Gannettoid on Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed last names to initials. I know these people can still be ID'd, but we're not hiding them to the people who know them, just taking a step from having full names listed.

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:38 pm

Also from news: Jan J. and Sean T.
Last edited by Gannettoid on Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: last names changed to initials

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:49 pm

Jan? :(

She never got the respect she was due. I hope she finds something better.

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:56 pm

Steve R. from Delta.
Last edited by Gannettoid on Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: last names changed to initials

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:05 pm

It just amazes me how that old gas bag of an editor in Lansing just loves to fire older workers, when there are younger ones who have been there for a lot less time. It's pthetic.

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:16 pm

Steve R.?? What a shame - another example of a great guy led down a primrose path by a director who doesn't give a shit. Too bad he wasn't better protected by the great and powerful - he deserved better.

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:24 pm

No offense to those that were let go, but you can't tell me that cutting those jobs alone is meeting the budget cut number. Most of those folks only earned a very small to decent/acceptable living. I wonder what gives?

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:43 pm

If they would only sacrifice the (exact positions removed, but two managers were listed) - LSJ could keep the rest of its employees for a very long time. That is some big fat 6 figure revenue that could even hire some back that, unlike them, actually show up once in a while to get real work done. There is no doubt in anyone's mind the paper would magically get out tomorrow without them both. And beyond that, not only are they widely despised within the building, they are jokes in the community as well - so this is the big plan, eh? Keep 'em? What kind of crack are the decision makers smoking? How is it that the decision makers are so shrouded in ignorance?
Last edited by Gannettoid on Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: stated in text.

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:58 pm

I know of at least a couple managers in the newsroom who just terrorize employees and don't have very many employees (they've scared most of them off) and are still pushing 70K yearly. Why aren't these people put on the auction block. Why is there a need for so many director-level editors in the newsroom (executive editor, managing editor, assistant managing editor)?

PreviousNext

Return to LAYOFF NEWS (Current round is now at 1,680 layoffs)