New circulation numbers released today

Discuss anything related to news from or about Gannett.

New circulation numbers released today

Unread postby Gannettoid » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:10 am

New reports will be released today from the Audit Bureau of Circulations, the independent company that tracks newspaper circulation.

Gannett's USA Today has already made the most news in the circulation stories, pre-reporting a 17-percent decline and falling to No. 2 in the nation, but today's announcement is expected to add new angles on the coverage of the struggles newspaper companies have faced.

"The release may prompt news articles and reports that may or may not provide the full story and the essential context," a memo to staff of The Courier-Journal in Louisville from publisher Arnold Garson said.

Garson pre-reported his paper's numbers in the Friday memo. Daily print circulation fell 11.2 percent from the prior year to 168,158, according to Garson. Sunday circulation fell 5.3 percent to 238,612.

USA Today's decline was the worst in the history of the paper. Its total circulation is now 1.88 million. The paper claims to still be the top print-circulation paper while the new leader, The Wall Street Journal, is only No. 1 when counting its online subscribers.

In Detroit, where the Free Press and The Detroit News have scaled back print editions and stepped up its digital efforts, both papers show losses, according to an article by Bill Mitchell at The Poynter Institute. Both papers say the losses are in line with industry trends, a positive for the experiment.

READ THE MEMO AT www.Gannettoid.com/abc1026.html
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Re: New circulation numbers released today

Unread postby Guest » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:44 am

Humorous to see the C-J so concerned that everyone get the full story.

Unread postby paul tanner » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:09 am

paul tanner

Unread postby MILKLUVR » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:24 pm

:lol: arnie garson is a gannett toadie that drinks nothing but kool-aid,no one in louisville or so.indiana want to read the piece of trash arnie calls a newspaper.since they no longer have offices around the state they can;t give it away in other regions either.And I keep getting ad material to reup my news subscription for a Sunday paper and get Wed. thru Sat. free. What is gonna happen to Monday an Tuesday come on arnie tell us again your not gonna go to 5 day delivery maybe I'll have some kool-aid then
MILKLUVR

Unread postby Guest » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:30 pm

"In its local market, The Courier-Journal continues to reach more adults on an average day than any TV newscast, any TV reality program or any Web site."

That just goes to show you can twist statistics into meaning anything you want to present. I wonder how The Courier-Journal would fare when compared to ALL AVAILABLE television newscasts or news websites on a given day?

Every time a discussion comes up about whether newspapers are dying I comment that the only media NOT reporting on how bad newspapers are doing is newspapers. I don't know if newspapers will actually die out in the next several years or decades, but they will certainly never again be what they were in their hay day.

Reading that memo, I picture someone desperately doing anything they can to continue breathing in a box slowly filling with water that is almost full. It is sad that this industry we all loved is suffocating, but in its absence, new, different opportunities are arising.

Unread postby Guest of all » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:01 pm

Sooooooooo..........

USA Today falls 17%, worst drop in circ in history.

Louisville plunges.

Des Moines falls hard.

and on and on and on today.

Soooooooooooooooo Gannett top brass.... howz all those layoffs, furloughs and cutbacks workin' out for you???

Not so much, huh?

Sadly, all easy to predict. Of course NO ONE in this sad, pitiful little company will ever admit that maybe, just maybe the big reason for the circulation plunge at ALL Gannett newspapers is the incredible drop in quality cause by the layoffs and furloughs of newsroom staffs!!!! That plus the shrinking newsholes....

People are NOT stupid. They will stop paying for a product that has abandoned THEM.

Gannett's days - ARE - numbered.
Guest of all

Unread postby procarrier » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:00 pm

And what does Gannett really expect when you have half the pages (may not be but sure seems like it) the papers used to have, and ask 75 cents for a daily to a dollar for USA.

Let's see.....people don't buy my product so I'll give 'em less and charge 'em more.

What business school does that come out of?
First I heard about that, I don't know, I'll look into it, I'll get back to you, They're supposed to do it.
procarrier

Gannett's circulation report

Unread postby Gannettoid » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:34 am

Gannett's circulation numbers are available at www.Gannettoid.com/abc1029.html
Gannettoid
Site Admin

Unread postby Guest » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:47 pm

Wonder how many that go straight into the recycle bin are counted as sales this time?

Are thes eincluding web site hits? You know, wher you ahve to click on a page 2,3 or more times to get where you want to go?

Unread postby Guest, too » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:31 pm

Guest wrote:Wonder how many that go straight into the recycle bin are counted as sales this time?

Are thes eincluding web site hits? You know, wher you ahve to click on a page 2,3 or more times to get where you want to go?

:lol:
Guest, too

Unread postby observer » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:48 pm

Thes circulation losses across Gannett are staggering in its scope!

How could so many papers fall so hard so fast?

These numbers are terrifying. And to be blunt, there isn't a circulation manager or publisher who shouldn't be fired for such pitiful numbers!
observer

Unread postby Observer too!! » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:16 pm

Don't see any numbers for one paper - Alexandria??? Did they close down? Maybe their Publisher and Circulation Director should be fired!!!!
Observer too!!

Unread postby Guest » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:19 pm

The article regarding the circulation numbers increasing at the Visalia Times Delta fails to mention that in 2004 and 2005 their circulation numbers were between 24500 and 25000. So in an overall perspective they are down nearly 20%. Were the circulation numbers including the Tulare Advance Register they print?

Seems so strange that an area so affected by the economic downturn is actually increasing circulation.

Unread postby newsie » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:40 pm

Observer too!! wrote:Don't see any numbers for one paper - Alexandria??? Did they close down? Maybe their Publisher and Circulation Director should be fired!!!!

I plugged "Alexandria" into the city for Virginia on this site:

http://abcas3.accessabc.com/ecirc/newsform.asp

and got this:

Search Type: United States Circulation averages for the six months ended:
9/30/2009
State: Virginia
Selection: alexandria (Contains)
Sort By: Title ASC
Results Found: 0

Preliminary figures subject to audit as filed with the Audit Bureau of Circulations.
* Total Circulation = Total Average Paid Circulation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No matches were found for your request.
Please select the "BACK" icon in your browser's window and try again.
newsie

Unread postby Observer Too » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:02 pm

The paper is the Alexandria Daily Town Talk in Alexandria, Louisiana. I checked the ABC web site and they did not file their publishers statement timely. Curious what their numbers are.
Observer Too

Unread postby Guest » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:04 am

Cherry Hill's numbers dropped to 66,515 on Sundays. When I first started working there, it was over 110,000 on Sundays. Truly a staggering drop when you look at the past decade or so.

Return to GANNETT NEWS