view from a single copy carrier

Discuss anything related to news from or about Gannett.

view from a single copy carrier

Unread postby procarrier » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:50 am

Today's paper (Mon.) is pathetic. Cutting content because people aren't buying the paper, but what reason do they have when the whole Monday paper now is equal to a section just a year or two ago. Add to that a 25 cent daily price increase and again, what reason does anybody have to buy the paper? Today starts the TV prime time section that was in every day, gone! Their excuse...everybody looks online for the listings. WRONG! I heard it from many people over the weekend, asking why. To save one side of one page? Just eliminating one more reason to buy the paper they say.

It really pains me to see this once great, proud industry cutting it's feet, now legs, out from under itself, and have no clue as to what it's doing.

It's quoted...build it and they will come.....I say, take it away, and they will go.....and they are! :?
procarrier

Re: view from a single copy carrier

Unread postby curious » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:48 am

procarrier wrote:Today's paper (Mon.) is pathetic. Cutting content because people aren't buying the paper, but what reason do they have when the whole Monday paper now is equal to a section just a year or two ago. Add to that a 25 cent daily price increase and again, what reason does anybody have to buy the paper? Today starts the TV prime time section that was in every day, gone! Their excuse...everybody looks online for the listings. WRONG! I heard it from many people over the weekend, asking why. To save one side of one page? Just eliminating one more reason to buy the paper they say.

It really pains me to see this once great, proud industry cutting it's feet, now legs, out from under itself, and have no clue as to what it's doing.

It's quoted...build it and they will come.....I say, take it away, and they will go.....and they are! :?

Your frustration is understandable. But some things must change and listings are one of those things. They would have gone by the wayside regardless of who is ceo or the economy. It's too easy to get listing elsewhere for free, including TV. We still have to be in tune with societal changes to survive.
And honestly, your job is antiquated. No offense intended. But you really should find something else because eventually all carriers or close to all those jobs will be gone. The is nothing transferrable in the new media realm.
curious

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:04 am

Of course you can find anything on the I-net, but that doesn't make it convenient Not everybody can afford an I-pod or laptop to keep attached to the hip. I for one, wouldn't if I could. And there are more like me out there than you would think. That makes ME antiquated? Yep.

There's a place for both, and in these troubled times. Newspapers should be selling their butts off. Newspapers themselves are the biggest reasons people aren't reading like they should. Higher prices for less content...now that's a business gem if ever there was one.

Unread postby Techie » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:31 pm

Everytime I hear that newspapers are dead because of the internet I just shake my head. Yes, they're dying, not because of the internet, but because we are killing them. We have convinced ourselves newspapers are dead, we have convinced our customers newspapers are dead and we have convinced Wall Street newspapers are dead.

I'm a techie, very connected techie, who loves techie toys. A FiOS internet connection, wireless router, media server for movies and music, a home server for backups and file storage, kick ass dual screen quad core PC for playing games, 2 additional PCs connected via 1000BaseT ethernet, Hi-Def TVs, and home theater system. Been playing on the internet before 99.9% of the world knew what the internet was and way before Al Gore invented it.

Do I take my laptop/tablet PC out by the pool to read news? Hell no! Do I take my laptop/tablet PC to bed to read? Hell no! Do I read news on the Internet? Yes, but only a quick read. Mostly use it for research, email and playing games.

What do I read? Books, magazines, and newspapers! I do not read any of them on a computer.
And sure as hell won't read them on a Kindle.
Techie

Unread postby Guest » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:05 am

Amen brother techie. Now all we need is 30,00---40,00 more of us and maybe this newspaper company can right itself!

Return to GANNETT NEWS